In honor of the Marina’s 50th birthday, we’ve compiled a list of our top 50 reasons to love Marina del Rey. From popular water sports to free weekend concerts, we’ve got you covered. Are you ready? It’s time to get smitten with some of our hottest activities.
1) Rent a bike at Fisherman’s Village & hop on the Marvin Braude Coastal Bike Path which stretches 22 miles along L.A.’s scenic beach front
2) Try a paddleboard yoga class with Phins Water Sports Club or YOGAqua.
3) Hit the open waters of the Pacific with a jet ski or power boat from Marina del Rey Boat Rentals.
4) Relax on the water with Hornblower Cruises’ champagne brunch cruise featuring flowing champagne, live entertainment and full buffet (weekends).
5) Groove to FREE weekend concerts year-round in Fisherman’s Village.
6) Stop by the weekly Marina del Rey’s Farmers Market for the freshest produce and vegetables.
7) Stand-up paddle board with hourly rentals available from Marina del Rey Boat Rentals, Marina Paddle, Phins Water Sports Club, and PRO SUP Shop
8) Take a sailing lesson with Blue Water Sailing or the UCLA Marina Aquatic Center.
9) Catch your dinner with an open-water fishing excursion with Marina del Rey Sportfishing (daily trips year-round). Seasonal whale watching also available.
10) “Dock & Dine” at Killer Shrimp Restaurant & Bar where you can kayak, paddleboard, row or boat to your favorite meal (happy hour, included)!
11) Snap a “selfie” along the waterfront.
12) Cheer on your favorite team at the Tavern at Tony P’s Dockside Grill.
13) Treat yourself to an afternoon of pampering with a treatment at Spa del Rey.
14) Explore the Marina on foot with one of our six self-guided walks.
15) Be a night-owl! UCLA Marina Aquatic Center offers full moon kayaks throughout the year.
16) Enjoy a romantic evening on a private gondola tour with Gondolas d’Amore.
17) Spend the morning bird watching in nearby Ballona Wetlands
18) Kayak through the Marina waters with hourly rentals from Marina Paddle, Marina del Rey Boat Rentals & Phins Water Sports Club.
19) Picnic in waterfront Burton Chace Park and spend the afternoon overlooking the harbor.
20) Walk to the North Jetty at sunset for a spectacular ocean view.
21) Be your own captain with a duffy rental from Marina del Rey Boat Rentals.
22) Stroll the boat-filled harbor on Burke Marina Walk Promenade to read cleverly named boat titles like “Knot for Sail.”
23) Eat like a local! Enjoy fish tacos at Beachside, Killer Shrimp’s namesake signature dish, Café del Rey’s truffle pizza and Cast & Plow’s farm-to-table menu.
24) Have a girls’ day with a signature blow-out from the Drybar
25) Get your beach volleyball on with a game on Marina (Mother’s) Beach.
26) Happy hour under the stars with fire pits at Beachside, Marina Grill & Bar, and Whiskey Red’s.
27) Shop the Waterside, Marina del Rey with chic boutiques like BCBG, M. Fredric, and Marmi’s
28) Have dinner and a movie at the AMC Dine-In Theatres (21+) at the Marina Marketplace.
29) Bike, walk or skateboard to world-famous Venice Beach
30) Grab your camera and play photographer for a day. The Marina’s landscape – from a yacht-filled harbor to natural wildlife and spectacular sunsets – will leave you speechless.
31) The iconic Marina del Rey Hotel recently reopened its doors after a $20M renovation. Stop by for a peek at its new, contemporary design and enjoy dinner at its signature restaurant, SALT.
32) Sway to the music of the Marina del Rey Summer Concert Series held in Burton Chace Park.
33) Get a taste of LA’s biggest food trend when “Beach Eats” brings the city’s hottest food trucks to Marina (Mother’s) Beach (seasonal; spring – fall)
34) In the summer, ride the Marina del Rey Water Bus or hop on the free Playa Vista Beach Shuttle
35) Feast at Whiskey Red’s popular weekend brunch buffet which boasts seafood, pasta, omelets, and an oozing chocolate fountain!
36) Scour the Marina’s harbor, parks, beaches, hotels and restaurants for popular television & movie locations. Hint: Arrested Development’s Banana Stand was filmed in Fisherman’s Village.
37) Workout on the parcourse fitness trail in Yvonne Burke Park on Admiralty Way.
38) History buff? Visit the Marina del Rey Historical Society in Fisherman’s Village.
39) Walk to the Marina Peninsula for a gorgeous view of the Grand Canal and unique architecture.
40) Spend 4th of July in Marina del Rey with the annual Fireworks spectacular!
41) Be tourist for a day with Starline Tours Hop-on, Hop-off double-decker bus.
42) Let Marina del Rey Parasailing take you high over the Pacific for an exhilarating experience with some of the best views in Los Angeles!
43) Watch sailboats race through the harbor with the California Yacht Club’s Sunset Sailing Series (held Wednesday evenings, April – September).
44) Start your morning at Joni’s Coffee Roasting Café, with a cup of its famous coffee!
45) Play a game of foosbal in the newly renovated Marina del Rey Marriott hotel lobby.
46) Stop by the Marina del Rey Visitors Center (at the corner of Admiralty & Mindanao)
47) Be a spectator at the Marina del Rey Boat Parade
48) Rock the boat with a private charter from FantaSea Yachts, Hornblower Cruises or Tiki Mermaid.
49) Need another day? Book a stay at one of our six waterfront hotels – sparkling views, included.
50) Join the party with the official birthday celebration of Marina del Rey! This commemorative event will last April 10 – 12, 2015 with MarinaFest, a formal ceremony, community birthday cake, a concert, and fireworks show! For more information, please visit mdr50.com.
What’s on your list? Sound off below!