Welcome to the new year! Time to set 2020 goals that fall into the “good-for-you” category. But first, let’s talk about these goals or what many refer to as New Year’s resolutions. Fitness trainer and TV personality Jillian Michaels recommends in this LA Times article that you should set small achievable goals. Why? Well, according to the University of Scranton Journal of Clinical Psychology, less than half of New Year’s resolutions are kept for the first six months and only eight percent of people actually keep them for the entire year. The point is you want to achieve small goals that help you gain momentum and before you know it, you’ll be sticking to your goals all year long.
So, if you’re visiting Marina del Rey, you’re in luck!
L.A.’s Marina is one of the best spots in Los Angeles that can help you stay focused on your goals. Whether you want to eat better or focus on fitness, here are some ways to take care of yourself and stick to your 2020 goals in Marina del Rey:
1) Get your steps in and walk along Admiralty Way in Marina del Rey to the end of Washington Boulevard toward Venice Pier. Stop by Cow’s End Cafe for refreshing fruit smoothies and fresh juices.
2) Dine at many of the waterfront restaurants that offer healthy-for-you options such as Cast & Plow, Cafe del Rey, SALT and Beachside. Many of Marina del Rey’s eateries include gluten-free and dairy-free offerings.
3) Treat yourself to an 80-minute Restorative Relaxing Phyto-Aromatic Body Treatment at Sisley Spa in The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey. A gentle massage technique combined with essential oils provides a feeling of well-being and calms the senses.
4) Challenge yourself by doing a 90-minute yoga class on a stand-up paddleboard at Marina “Mother’s” Beach through YOGAqua. Not your cup of tea? Take a free yoga class at beautiful Burton Chace Park. Bring your own yoga mat. Look for the class outdoors under the white pergola on Sundays, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
5) While at Waterside Shops, power up on your veggies with organic salads, grain bowls and seasonal soups at Sweetgreen and pair it with organic cold-press juices from Kreation Organic Juicery.
6) To get the heart-rate pumping, rent a kayak or paddleboard at Marina “Mother’s” Beach to explore the harbor and say hello to the local sea-lions throughout the marina.
7) Get fresh air and take in the scenery on a bike ride through the Marina and up to Santa Monica on the Marvin Braude Bike Trail. Click here for the bike map.
8) Snack on fresh, organic fruits, vegetables and gourmet foods at the weekly Farmers Market on Saturdays from 9 a.m.–2 p.m. located at Parking Lot 11 on Panay Way and Admiralty Way.
9) Traveling as a couple? Splurge on a special yoga and massage package for $275 anytime in January at Creative Chakra Spa. Get a private yoga session customized to your needs, followed by a massage of your choice in your ensuite room by candlelight.
10) Mix it up with circuit training at Yvonne B. Burke Park, a narrow sliver of green space that runs parallel to Admiralty Way in the heart of the Marina. The park features a free 18-station parcourse including stretching stations to really fine tune your workout.
Best of luck to you, especially when you visit our seaside community. We know you’ll find it easy to stick to your 2020 goals in Marina del Rey!