Valentine’s Day (or Galentine’s Day and for some, Palentine’s) is just around the corner. Cue the heart-shaped boxes and chocolate-covered everything! Soon, your social media feed will be oozing with all-things Valentine’s. Not everyone plans to give or wants to receive those traditional gifts. In fact, the National Retail Foundation’s recent survey found that experiential gifts are becoming more popular for events surrounding February 14. Interestingly, the NRF survey also showed that the celebration of love extends beyond significant others; pets, families and BFFs are also being honored during love’s official holiday.
Whether you love or loathe February 14, we know that Valentine’s, Galentine’s or Palentine’s in Marina del Rey is a perfect choice for anyone planning to give the gift of an experience. Read on to see our list of 20 ways to celebrate in Marina del Rey:
1. Book a sunset sailing trip for you and your significant other(s).
2. Everyone can use a little vitamin “sea!” Enjoy kayaking around the marina together. Rentals available at Marina “Mother’s” Beach through PROSup Shop or Marina del Rey Boat Rentals located at Fisherman’s Village.
3. Go on a deep-sea fishing adventure with MDR Sportfishing.
4. Or go on a whale-watching and wildlife tour out in the open seas. February is one of the prime months for seeing whales in the Pacific as they migrate North.
5. Rent bikes and ride to Venice or Santa Monica from the Marina. Stop and enjoy smoothies from The Cow’s End or Cafe Buna along Washington Boulevard. Feeling brave? Try one of the workout machines at the original Muscle Beach located along the famous Venice Boardwalk.
6. Go paddleboarding together; you get a free lesson with PROSup Shop on the calm coves of Marina “Mother’s” Beach. After your paddleboarding adventure, walk up to Beachside and enjoy a meal outside facing the harbor.
7. Try windsurfing at the UCLA Recreation Center. Keep an eye out for sea lions hanging out in the marina. Wrap up the fun with cocktails and bites at Whiskey Red’s located at quaint Fisherman’s Village next door to the UCLA Recreation Center.
8. Reserve a firepit table on the patio at The Ritz-Carlton’s Marina del Rey signature restaurant, Cast & Plow, overlooking the California sunset. Bonus: the patio is pet-friendly, too!
9. Go on a dinner cruise with Hornblower Cruises & Events and dance the night away under the stars.
11. Walk around Fisherman’s Village, then have cocktails and dinner on the patio at Whiskey Red’s. Sunset views are spectacular from their patio.
12. For a truly California experience, make reservations for outdoor patio seating at SALT Restaurant & Bar.
13. Start with a relaxing gift of a couples massage at Sisley Spa, followed by brunch with live music at Cast & Plow.
14. Book a weekend getaway at any of the waterfront hotels and ask for marina views–don’t forget to order room service!
15. Charter a private yacht with a chef and head into Santa Monica Bay and impress your date with a sunset sail and dinner. Or if you prefer land, head to a special Valentine’s Day dinner at waterfront restaurants such as Cafe del Rey, Cast & Plow, Beachside or SALT Restaurant & Bar. Reservations highly recommended!
16. Enjoy some sweet treats and decadent desserts from See’s Candies, Yogurtland or Susie Cakes. Try Sinners & Saints for some gluten-free options.
Galentine’s Getaway Experiences
17. Bring your own food and drink aboard an electric duffy boat rental. Putt around the marina with your girlfriends.
19. Get some retail therapy on Abbot Kinney Blvd. and then relax on the patio of SALT Restaurant & Bar for some cocktails overlooking the sparkling water.
20. Book facials or mani-pedis at Sisley Spa, then relax, catch up and stay poolside at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey.