Looking for ways to celebrate Memorial Day in Marina del Rey? We know Memorial Day celebrations across the country will look and feel different this year. Parades and other patriotic events are cancelled, but celebrating Americans who died fighting for the country can still go on.
In fact, many Americans will also celebrate frontline workers fighting the coronavirus. (In the meantime, have you seen this video? Watch how the Marina del Rey community makes noise nightly to support frontline workers.)
Even though it won’t feel traditional, here are five ways to celebrate Memorial Day in Marina del Rey or from your own home. Remember to wear a facial covering if you head outdoors in Los Angeles per LA County Public Health.
HOW TO CELEBRATE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND IN MARINA DEL REY
1. One way to recognize our fallen heroes is to display an American flag outside your home or business. On Monday, May 25, take a moment of silence at 3 p.m. local time for The National Moment of Remembrance. For 60 seconds, send your thanks and love to active soldiers, veterans, and the many heroes who died serving our country.
2. These days, a change of scenery can be good for your mental health. Why not get on the water? Some on-the-water attractions offering rentals re-opened this Memorial Day weekend. The following rental companies have been approved by LA Public Health: Marina del Rey Boat Rentals, Marina del Rey Parasailing, PROSUP Shop and Paddle Method. Each have new safety procedures in place to ensure physical distancing and sanitizing of vessels, equipment and life jackets.
Call or book online to:
- Rent a duffy boat, jet-ski or kayak!
- Go stand-up paddleboarding!
- Soar over the Pacific coastline by parasailing!
- Charter a boat for a sunset cruise!
Updated: Charter boats that carry six passengers or less reopened this weekend, too. Click here for a list of charter companies. Please confirm with each company if they have reopened. Additionally, six passengers or less on boat charters refer to members of the same household.
3. Of course, one tradition that won’t be going away this year is firing up the grill. So, if a cookout isn’t in your plans, then order some barbecue-inspired meals from your favorite local restaurant in L.A.’s Marina. Click here to view Marina del Rey restaurants offering takeout and delivery.
4. Currently homeschooling? Then teach kids about this patriotic holiday through arts and crafts projects like these.
5. After you order takeout, head to picturesque spots such as Fisherman’s Village or Burton Chace Park. At this point you can get some fresh air and enjoy calming harbor views. Need to burn some calories after your Memorial Day meal? Walk, run or bike to Marina “Mother’s” Beach, recently reopened for limited, active recreational use. Additionally, you can keep cruising along the reopened beach bike path.
Exploring a weekend getaway? Click here to view hotels in Marina del Rey. No matter what, this year Memorial Day Weekend celebrations will go on. Whether at home, on the beach or out on the water, be safe out there. For more information on beaches and bike paths, click here to visit LA County Department of Beaches and Harbors.