About the Marina del Rey Convention & Visitors Bureau
Founded in 2000, The Marina del Rey CVB is a non-profit corporation formed through the joint efforts of the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors and the six Marina del Rey hotels located within the unincorporated area of Los Angeles County.
The Marina del Rey Convention & Visitors Bureau is funded by an assessment of hotel room revenues from Marina del Rey’s six hotels and by Los Angeles County’s Department of Beaches & Harbors. Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is set at 12% in Marina del Rey and is allocated to Los Angeles County’s General Fund. Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors funds approximately 29% of the MdRCVB budget. A separate 2% hotel self-assessment is collected from the Marina’s hotels and distributed to the Marina del Rey CVB. Funding from Marina del Rey’s six hotels represents 71% of the MdRCVB budget.
The Marina del Rey Convention & Visitors Bureau is governed by a 14-member Board of Directors composed of business, community and government leaders.
Marina del Rey’s 2019 Economic Impact Report Analysis and 2017 visitor survey
One of the most desirable destinations along the Los Angeles coast, Marina del Rey (visitmarinadelrey.com) continues to see a substantial benefit from a modernizing renaissance, which is driving increased tourism numbers and related economic impact. The Marina del Rey Convention and Visitors Bureau commissioned CBRE Hotels to conduct its annual tourism study.
The Economic Impact of Tourism on Marina del Rey
The 2019 research included a full analysis of economic impact of tourism on Marina del Rey, measuring visitor spending, number of jobs supported by tourism, and associated tax revenue generated from visitors during the year. In 2019, the economic impact is estimated at $398,200,000, an increase of 0.1 percent over 2018. Other research findings included:
- Total direct visitor spending in 2019 is estimated at $306.2 million, a 0.1 percent increase from 2018.
- Tourism in Marina del Rey supported an estimated 2,698 jobs in calendar year 2019, representing a 0.1 percent year-over-year increase.
- Total measurable tax revenues for Marina del Rey were approximately $12.8 million in 2019, an increase of 3 percent from 2018.
Where the Money Goes: Tourism Dollars Benefit Visitors and Locals Alike
Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT), commonly known as hotel tax, collected from the six hotels that fall within the Marina boundary partially funds visitor-serving events, attractions, and programs, all of which benefit local residents as well. In 2019, that amount totaled $11.7 million, and it funded events and programs including:
• Snow Wonder and Marina Spooktacular community festivals.
• Holiday lights program with weekend entertainment.
• Annual ARTsea two-day community festival on Marina “Mother’s” Beach.
• Live music element added to summer season Beach Eats food truck gatherings.
• New Year’s Eve Fireworks Celebration with two fireworks shows and a family-friendly Glow Party.
• Popular musical acts for the award-winning summer concert series.
• Refreshments and live trivia entertainment before the Marina movie nights in the summer and winter.
• Sponsorship support for The Free Ride, a daily on-demand free shuttle service in the Marina.
• More robust advertising efforts for community events and programs.
The Marina’s Continued Evolution
The future of Marina del Rey will include more excitement and growth from both County infrastructure improvements and private enterprises. Here are a few recently completed projects, plus others coming soon.
- Specialty grocer Trader Joes’ opened in 2019 as part of Boardwalk Shops development.
- Several modern apartment complexes have undergone extensive renovations in 2019, including new boat slips and amenities that range from roof decks with marina views and yoga lawns to communal work spaces and pet spas
- Boardwalk Shops, a waterfront commercial project on Admiralty Way, is anticipated to open in Summer 2020 featuring dining options, walkway and guest docks for boaters.
- Two new Marina del Rey hotels, Courtyard Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott, will open by Fall 2020.
Why Visitors Love Marina del Rey
The Marina del Rey Convention & Visitors Bureau commissioned Destination Analysts to conduct its first ever visitor profile and destination brand perception study throughout 2017.
Key findings: The research shared overwhelmingly positive reviews with 93.8 percent of visitors expressing they were “likely” or “very likely” to return to Marina del Rey and 89.4 percent revealing they booked their trip to Marina del Rey for the accessibility to the beach.
Top three reasons for booking a trip to Marina del Rey:
- a vacation,
- a weekend getaway, and
- business travel.
- Most visit the Marina with a spouse or significant other.
Important factors in destination selection included:
- 51.7 percent citing scenic beauty
- 47.6 percent overall ambiance and atmosphere,
- 47.5 percent weather,
- 37.5 percent restaurants and dining, and
- 31.7 percent outdoor recreational activities.
Top trip activities included:
- 70.4 percent visited a beach
- 55.3 percent dined in restaurants
- 36.1 percent shopped
- 30.1 percent attended a festival or event, and
- 20.2 percent visited a local park.
Top reasons for choosing a hotel in the Marina included:
- 39.4 percent for proximity to the ocean/beach,
- 34.1 percent cited Marina del Rey’s relaxing atmosphere, and
- 31.8 percent for the walkability of the destination to activities and attractions of interest.
Top cited descriptions of Marina del Rey included:
- welcoming and
The economic impact study is limited to overnight visitors who stay in hotels and private homes located in Marina del Rey and does not reflect the impact of other visitors to Marina del Rey who stay in lodging facilities outside of the community’s boundaries or those that utilize Airbnb or other vacation rental services.
Download Full Report
About Marina del Rey Convention & Visitors Bureau
Marina del Rey Convention & Visitors Bureau is the official destination marketing organization that promotes leisure and business travel for Los Angeles’ premier waterfront destination. Situated along the Los Angeles coastline and only four miles from LAX, Marina del Rey is the largest small craft, man-made harbor in North America and is the gateway to Southern California, offering sparkling marina views, on-the-water recreation, waterfront dining, and contemporary hotels just steps from the water’s edge – all walking distance from world-famous Venice Beach.
2020 Board of Directors
Tony Mira, President
The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
Daniel Ginzburg, Vice President
KIM HART, Treasurer
Marina del Rey Marriott
Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors
Villa del Mar Apartments
Marina del Rey Hotel
Residence Inn & Courtyard by Marriott MdR
Marina del Rey Lessees Association
Hornblower Cruises and Events
Small Craft Harbor Commission
Foghorn Harbor Inn
Jamaica Bay Inn
Tony P’s Dockside Grill
Hilton Garden Inn
Marina del Rey CVB does not have any current positions open.
Our partner Hornblower Cruises currently has a full-time position open in the Marketing Department. Please click here to apply directly. Do not contact Marina del Rey CVB. The hiring company is Hornblower Cruises. Thank you!
hornblower cruises – DIRECTOR OF REGIONAL MARKETING – CALIFORNIA
Job title: Director of Regional Marketing – California
Department: Cruises & Events
FLSA status: Exempt
Reports to: VP Marketing & Growth
Posting Date: November 27, 2019
The successful Director of Regional Marketing, California will lead, develop and manage (both directly and indirectly) a team of marketeers across the ports in Hornblower Cruise’s & Events’ California region to drive sustainable, long term growth in the region’s B2C and B2B demand through the execution of fleet initiatives and creation of regional activity.
S/He is responsible for growing and maintaining the culture and engagement of the regional team to ensure the delivery of best in class marketing and for partnering closely with the Corporate marketing team to ensure the California Region is fully leveraging Hornblower’s marketing engine.
This position will serve as the regional “marketing hub” for both point of supply (port) and point of demand (guest) for all marketing functions (Brand, Strategy, Partnerships, Media, eCommerce, Communications etc), commercial services and regional operations.
This position will also serve as the regional executional arm of the Corporate marketing organization for revenue generating activities, ensuring that local port marketing aligns with regional and fleet-wide marketing activities , and providing all corporate functions with the regional market perspective.
This position will be based out of our San Francisco office and maintain a regular travel schedule within the region with occasional travel to other national destinations.
Planning Activities (30%)
- Define and implement the regional marketing plan, in line with Corporate and brand strategy which will exceed annual revenue targets for the region and meet overall marketing strategy objectives.
- Review and sign off on individual port marketing plans and advertising spend, providing guidance, input and support, whilst ensuring the plan is in line with port budgets.
Organizing Activities (30%)
- Provide leadership to a regional team of port based marketers in the California region, who in turn provide day to day tactical marketing support to their respective ports.
- Work with the Corporate Marketing team to ensure that regular, open, communication is maintained.
- Maintain close lines of communication with the region’s General Manager, Sales and Operations functions, offering support at all times.
Directing Activities (30%)
- Leverage fleet and regional promotions in local media and channels to drive revenue for regional properties and fleet-wide
- Determine and execute regional programs leveraging Corporate functions such as Brand, Strategy, Partnerships, Media, eCommerce, Communications, Revenue Management etc.
- Ensure that all ports participate in fleet & regional promotions
- Exploit and monitor performance of initiatives and revenue performance through all channels and develop or support any required initiatives with support of Corporate teams.
- Actively participate and gain agreement on all activity through Commercial Focus process.
- Oversee the management of all regional marketing and sponsorship agreements
- Working in partnership with Corporate marketing team, port General Managers and Sales Directors ensure the maximization of reach and exposure of these agreements ensuring they have a positive effect on revenue targets.
- Provide support to fleet partners & sponsorships
- Coordinate with Partnerships team on fleet partnerships providing regional opportunities
- Initiate, manage and grow regional and local, high quality partnerships where appropriate
Support New Acquisitions/Integrations:
- Influence and assist with the creation of, and ultimately sign off on, all pre-acquisition marketing plans and integration activities.
Generate Loyalty to Hornblower Cruises & Events:
- Once launched, actively grow Hornblower’s B2B and B2C loyalty program membership in the market through execution support of fleet initiatives and development of area & regional activity.
- Drive revenue and activity of existing base with support of Corporate marketing functions
- Ensure all ports are following guidance and rigorously encourage teams to drive acquisition.
- Support the regional sales function in any way possible; to ensure that collectively the region reaches it EBITDA targets.
- Support the regional B2B revenue and non-revenue needs such as collateral development, key trade shows and local revenue initiatives
- Aim to align and improve with facilitation and leadership from central B2B and Sales functions.
Staffing Activities (5%)
- Responsible for TBD direct reports, with a matrixed relationship to other port team members
Controlling Activities (5%)
- Ensure the consistent implementation of Fleet Product, Service and Brand standards across the region while also adopting a flexible and consultative approach to local marketing initiatives and promotions enabling the region to achieve maximum exposure
- Manage performance of all activity (fleet, regional, port promotions and offers) and provide performance reporting to all business functions.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
Be the voice of the Guest in the region:
- Analyze and champion the regional guest & market trends, needs and developments
- Input key learnings to inform marketing strategy and positioning in the region
- Maximize messages for guests coming inbound or going outbound from the region to the whole Hornblower portfolio
- Obtain access to regional market research, collate relevant detail and implement a marketing strategy that is personal to the California region, but still within the Brand guidelines.
Develop port marketing capabilities:
- Provide regional input into Corporate brand development and marketing initiatives and coordinate all communication and feedback between California regional marketing and Corporate marketing
- Adapt and implement promotional marketing campaigns for Fleet products against B2B & B2C revenue streams.
- Advise, and provide support, on the development of ad hoc activities for the California region, taking into account the guest demographics and needs of the various different markets in the California region
- Maximize and adapt Fleet campaigns through the regional team to reflect the needs of the region’s ports
- Identify and help develop talent in ports
- Ensure that ports are aligned to the overall business strategy
- Leverage all available marketing toolkits
- Share best practices
Ensure that Hornblower Cruises & Events adopts the right Content for each market:
- Ensure that ports use appropriate content in all channels
- Work with Corporate eCommerce teams to ensure they build relevant landing pages and promotional content appropriate to each port
Work and collaborate on local and regional PR
- Support Corporate Communications team to ensure PR effectiveness in supporting national, regional and local port needs in the region. (It is Corporate Communications role to initiate, manage and drive all communications activity including management of all agencies, PR Budgets and driving and initiating all PR activity.)
- Provide regional updates and marketing plan overview to PR agency and Corporate Communications team.
- Develop and leverage PR for all relevant marketing initiatives.
Click here to apply.